Wednesday, May 22, 2013

My First German Birthday Party

     On the first night I arrived there was a birthday party for someone at a local dorm, since it's Germany and dorms have bars. To clarify, I don't mean like a tiny secret bar freshman keep in there room and fill with Tortilla Gold and Natty, I mean a full fledged bar in the basement of the dorm with stuff on tap and multiple mini fridges. This would have been culture shock enough, but the birthday party was far from what I was used to.
      Instead of cake and ice cream, they had a tub of hot dogs, Wurst, and raw meat with onions, Mett. The music playing was  a mixture of 80s and 90s pop, like Barbie Girl, and an occasional German song. Most of the night we played Loopin' Louie, http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/327/loopin-louie, which is a really fun child's game turned into a drinking game. Fun night, never met the birthday person though. A great start to experiencing German culture and what it means to be a college student in Aachen.
      Side note: if there's anything I can do to make this blog better/interesting things you'd like to read about please either comment or email me at jordo64@gmail.com. Danke!

No comments:

Post a Comment